First Amendment Festival
Saturday, Sep. 24, 2022 @ 10 am - 6 pm CDT
Join us for our inaugural First Amendment Festival at Discovery Park of America. Visitors to the park will discover fun, freedom and fellowship, and explore the rights that Americans treasure. The festival will include a variety of family-friendly, First Amendment-themed games, trivia, crafts and conversations. Admission to the park on the day of the festival is FREE with registration.
“The purpose of the festival is to engage Americans around their First Amendment freedoms and to help them better know, value, understand and defend those rights,” said Jan Neuharth, chair and CEO of the Freedom Forum. “Our annual survey of Americans’ understanding of the First Amendment has consistently shown that we value the First Amendment, but that few Americans know what those rights are. That’s a problem we’re uniquely positioned to address in a fun, compelling and empowering way.”
During the festival, Fox News host Bret Baier will participate in a one-on-one conversation about the First Amendment and his career as an award-winning journalist covering politics, war zones and the White House. Following the conversation, Larry, Steve and Rudy Gatlin, the three brothers who make up the country music band The Gatlin Brothers, will perform some of their biggest hits.
“With our mission to inspire children and adults to see beyond and an entire section of our heritage park dedicated to our American freedoms, Discovery Park is the perfect location for the Freedom Forum to hold its inaugural First Amendment Festival,” said Scott Williams, president and CEO of Discovery Park. “I know visitors from throughout the region will take advantage of this one-of-a-kind event.”
During the First Amendment Festival, visitors can:
- Set out on a scavenger hunt to discover the five freedoms the First Amendment protects for you! Visit spots in Discovery Park to solve clues and uncover our rights in action. Get a reward for completion plus entry into a drawing for more chances to win prizes.
- Reflect and share moments when our First Amendment freedoms have come alive for you. Together, our stories will show that we have more in common than what divides us – and that these five freedoms can bring people together.
- Check out the stories of the First Amendment! Learn about everyday heroes who used their freedoms and see how the First Amendment shows up in our lives today.
- Join us on the grounds for fun yard games and play with friends and family for the chance to win prizes.
- Test and grow your knowledge with a lively First Amendment themed-trivia contest with prizes for winners. You can join the game or enjoy the fun as a spectator!
- Snap selfies with figures past and present who exercised and defended our freedoms on the First Amendment walk of fame.
- Grab a snack and delve into First Amendment questions. Power up your knowledge of the issues you care about with answers from experts.
- Exercise your right to creative expression! Decorate your own artwork to add to an installation at Discovery Park – and see how the First Amendment can bring us together, protecting our expression and building community.
- Enjoy Discovery Park’s annual Southern Heritage Arts and Crafts Festival with artisans throughout the museum and park.
On Friday, Sept. 23, 2022, area students will learn the basics of the First Amendment and dive into case studies exploring the five freedoms before having the chance to creatively express themselves on what they learned. What are these rights, how can students use their freedoms and why are they important to society as well as individuals? The students’ creations during the program will be displayed at Discovery Park for visitors to see as a temporary installation at the First Amendment Festival on Saturday.
The deadline to request complimentary tickets for the festival is Friday, September 23, 2022.