About Freedom Forum
Our vision is an America where everyone knows, values and defends the freedoms of religion, speech, press, assembly and petition. The First Amendment protects everyone’s right to express themselves freely and join with others to make their views known. This diversity of voices and perspectives strengthens our nation.
Yet most Americans can’t name the five freedoms protected by the First Amendment.
We believe that encouraging the broad understanding and vigorous use of these fundamental freedoms by all people is the best way to preserve and protect the First Amendment for future generations.
We Educate, Engage and Inspire
We are the nation’s foremost advocates for First Amendment freedoms. Each year, we engage thousands of Americans in classes, conversations and celebrations of these essential rights that make the United States a beacon of freedom.
- We teach students, teachers, journalists, community leaders and lifelong learners about the freedoms of religion, speech, press, assembly and petition.
- We explore today’s vital debates about First Amendment freedoms with engaging expert content, conversations and digital storytelling.
- We survey Americans each year about their First Amendment freedoms.
- We showcase First Amendment freedoms and celebrate champions of free expression in festivals, traveling exhibits, programs, performances and annual award ceremonies.
- We train journalists and journalism educators on how to create newsroom culture that promotes inclusion and opportunity for all so the news we get better reflects the nation.
We Need You
If you agree that all Americans should know, value and defend their First Amendment freedoms, not just for themselves but for each of us, get involved now!
- Sign up for our newsletter.
- Celebrate press freedom and download our Today’s Front Pages app: hundreds of front pages at your fingertips, every day.
- Expand your First Amendment knowledge; take one of our classes.
- Take the First Amendment pledge to support these essential freedoms for all Americans.
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel.
- Share our content.
- Check out our Free Expression Award honorees.
- Support our work.
- Follow us on social media at Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Our Unique Differences Are Our Greatest Strength
Diversity is an integral part of the Freedom Forum’s history and it is vital to our future. Our founder Al Neuharth championed the hiring and promotion of women and minorities across the country as chair and CEO of Gannett. His legacy lives on at the Freedom Forum, where we are committed to creating an environment where everyone across race, gender, age, sexual orientation, sexual identity, religion, physical ability, life experience and political perspective is respected, valued, encouraged and supported. Diversity fuels inclusion. Everyone offers a unique perspective; we welcome yours.
The Freedom Forum is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) foundation dedicated to fostering First Amendment freedoms for all.
We are supported in part by contributions and grants. Freedom Forum leadership determines the content of our work independent of outside funders.