First Amendment Specialist
Kevin Goldberg is the First Amendment specialist at the Freedom Forum, where he works to educate the public on the importance of the First Amendment and oversees the Freedom Forum’s network of experts. Prior to joining the Freedom Forum, he served as vice president, legal for the Digital Media Association (DiMA), which represents the world’s leading audio streaming companies. Before DiMA, Goldberg spent 25 years in private practice at two law firms where he focused on First Amendment, FOIA and intellectual property issues for clients including the News Leaders Association, Association of Alternative Newsmedia, World Press Freedom Committee and Global Investigative Journalism Network, providing legislative advocacy, litigation strategy as well as training on free speech, free press and open government issues. Goldberg also taught a class in journalism and First Amendment law for seven years at George Mason University and has spoken at events sponsored by the State Department and nonprofits in more than a dozen countries around the world.
- Secretary, National Press Foundation Board of Directors & Executive Committee
- Vice Chair, District of Columbia Public Access Television Board of Directors
- Secretary, Tiffany Shackelford Foundation Board of Directors
- B.A., James Madison University
- J.D., George Washington University
Articles by This Expert
In the News
- ProPublica: School District Pays Legal Fees After Banning Mothers From Reading Sexually Graphic Passages at Meetings
- WESA: After pushback, Allegheny County Jail makes some changes to their book policy
- NBC News: Alex Jones’ Connecticut trial is the latest, but not the last, of the legal fallout from his Sandy Hook hoax claims
- Washington Post: When she sought answers about an officer, this Maryland police union sued
- Politico: States want to better patrol social media. These are the challenges.
- Mississippi Free Press: Librarian And Filmmaker Expand West Point Library’s LGBTQ+ Collection
- Axios: Celebrity trials amplify America's war over free speech
- The Independent: Murder plot, looming Roe v Wade ruling & protests at family homes: How Supreme Court security became political
- Voice of America: US Homeland Security’s ‘Disinformation Governance Board’ Assailed by Lawmakers
- The Hill: Does Florida’s ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill violate the First Amendment?
- HuffPost: What Sarah Palin's Case Against The New York Times Might Mean For Press Freedom