- This event has passed.
Power Shift Summit 2020: The Power of Allies
January 28, 2020 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm EST
On Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2020, the Freedom Forum’s Power Shift Project will convene Power Shift Summit 2020, a gathering of leaders across journalism and the media industry to focus on “The Power of Allies” and explore the critical role that individuals can play in fighting harassment and discrimination.
The summit will look at persistent problems in media workplaces and showcase people who are finding solutions — men who support women, people of privilege who stand up for the rights of the marginalized and people who want to be better advocates for change.
The summit’s participatory format encourages diverse voices and viewpoints. Jill Geisler, Freedom Forum Fellow in Women’s Leadership and Loyola University Chicago’s Bill Plante Chair in Leadership and Media Integrity, and Elisa Lees Muñoz, executive director of the International Women’s Media Foundation, will guide the conversation, along with:
- Hannah Allam, NPR national security correspondent
- Emily Ramshaw, former editor in chief of The Texas Tribune, who is launching a news nonprofit for women
- Sharif Durhams, CNN Digital senior editor for news and president, NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ Journalists
- Lulu Garcia-Navarro, host of NPR’s “Weekend Edition Sunday”
- Walt Mossberg, former Wall Street Journal columnist and co-founder, AllThingsD and Recode
- Kara Swisher, co-founder and editor at large, Recode, and contributing opinion writer, The New York Times.
More conversation leaders will be announced soon.
The International Women’s Media Foundation (IWMF), a valued ally to women in journalism for 30 years, is partnering on “The Power of Allies” Summit.
Generous support for the Power Shift Project has been provided by CBS Corporation, Gannett Foundation/USA TODAY NETWORK and the SPJ Foundation.
9:30 a.m.: Continental breakfast
10 a.m. to noon: Program
Come, and Bring an Ally
All summit participants are invited to bring along someone they believe to be an ally, someone who has taken a risk, changed a system or spoken out on behalf of others. Your voices matter.
For more information, contact [email protected].