Status: Full-time, Exempt
Location: Washington, D.C.
Reports to: Chief Content Officer
The Freedom Forum, a nonpartisan foundation that fosters First Amendment freedoms for all, seeks a First Amendment expert to help accurately communicate the substance and importance of the First Amendment to a wide and diverse audience.
The ideal candidate will have a track record of writing and speaking about all five First Amendment freedoms – religion, speech, press, assembly and petition – across multiple platforms including print, video, radio, TV and social media.
Deep understanding of the First Amendment through legal, scholarly or journalism work is a key competency for this position.
- Collaborating with colleagues to plan, innovate and execute new strategies and tactics to foster First Amendment freedoms and customize messages to audience segments.
- Planning, writing, editing First Amendment-related columns for distribution to news media and posting on the Freedom Forum website.
- Participating in Freedom Forum programs as a subject matter expert or interviewer for program guests.
- Responding to interview requests from media organizations for expert commentary on First Amendment-related issues and topics.
- Delivering First Amendment-related content in a nonpartisan manner that reflects free speech values and diverse viewpoints.
Core competencies include
- First Amendment legal expertise, whether working for a nonprofit based on the First Amendment or the Constitution, as a lawyer or paralegal, reporting on First Amendment issues as a journalist, or as a scholar researching and writing about the First Amendment.
- A passion to educate the public about the importance of the First Amendment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Fluency in the Microsoft Office 365 suite.
- Demonstrated ability to write quickly and accurately on deadline.
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegially with internal and external partners.
- Ability to manage projects within budget and time constraints.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across multiple media platforms including print, online, video, audio, social media, etc.
The Freedom Forum is committed to an ethical workplace, and our code of ethics reflects this commitment by promoting integrity, innovation, inclusivity, collaboration, accountability, respect and engagement. Competitive benefits include health, dental, vision and life insurance, as well as paid time off and a 401(k) Plan.
Please email a resume, cover letter and work samples in a single PDF titled your last name and first initial (example: BrownJ for Jane Brown) to the Freedom Forum Human Resources Department at: [email protected]
Diversity and Inclusion Statement: Our Unique Differences Are Our Greatest Strength
Diversity is an integral part of the Freedom Forum’s history ̶ and it is vital to our future. Our founder, Al Neuharth, championed the hiring and promotion of women and minorities across the country as chair and CEO of Gannett. His legacy lives on at the Freedom Forum, where we are committed to creating an environment where everyone across race, gender, age, sexual orientation, sexual identity, religion, physical ability and life experience is respected, valued, encouraged and supported. Diversity fuels inclusion. Everyone offers a unique perspective; we welcome yours.
The Freedom Forum is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.