FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Chief Content Officer
Date Prepared: October 2021
Freedom Forum is seeking a detail-oriented, meticulous editor and wordsmith who will be responsible for bringing columns, scripts, exhibits, posters, documents, newsletters, event invitations, and other internal and external communications and content to a sparkling level of final polish. Should be well-versed in the AP Stylebook, grammar and usage. This position works among several teams at the Freedom Forum, including content, marketing, education and development. This position reports to the chief content officer.
Essential Functions/Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provides the final edit on various internal and external communications, including exhibits, columns and public-facing presentations, videos and documents.
- Responsible for checking basic facts, name spellings, grammar, punctuation and hyperlinks and other expectations of a final-line copy editor.
- Reviews production files for public-facing exhibits and content to ensure presentation is accurate and professional.
- Ensures voice, tone and language consistency across documents.
- Applies best practices and style technicalities for multiple copy types (newsletter, social media, email, column).
- Edits for inclusive, accessible and plain language.
- Collaboratively develops voice, tone and style quick guides, checklists and tips for writing teams.
- A passion for the First Amendment and the Freedom Forum’s mission.
- At least five years of related experience.
- Excellent writing and copyediting skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time and work on tight deadlines.
- A spirit of collaboration both within the Content team and the overall Freedom Forum.
- Journalism experience a plus.
- Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy in all communications.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree is required.
The Freedom Forum is committed to an ethical workplace, and our code of ethics reflects this commitment by promoting integrity, innovation, inclusivity, collaboration, accountability, respect and engagement. Competitive benefits include health, dental, vision and life insurance, as well as paid time off and a 401(k) Plan.
Please email a resume, cover letter and work samples in a single PDF titled your last name and first initial (example: BrownJ for Jane Brown) to the Freedom Forum Human Resources Department at: [email protected]
Diversity and Inclusion Statement: Our Unique Differences Are Our Greatest Strength
Diversity is an integral part of the Freedom Forum’s history ̶ and it is vital to our future. Our founder, Al Neuharth, championed the hiring and promotion of women and minorities across the country as chair and CEO of Gannett. His legacy lives on at the Freedom Forum, where we are committed to creating an environment where everyone across race, gender, age, sexual orientation, sexual identity, religion, physical ability and life experience is respected, valued, encouraged and supported. Diversity fuels inclusion. Everyone offers a unique perspective; we welcome yours.
The Freedom Forum is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.