Vice President, Events and Experiences
Reports to: Chief Engagement Officer
Prepared: January 2024
The Freedom Forum works to raise awareness of First Amendment freedoms through education, advocacy, and action with a vision of an America where everyone knows, understands, values and defends the freedoms of religion, speech, press, assembly and petition.
The Vice President of Events and Experiences, who reports to the Chief Engagement Officer, will serve as a strategic thought partner for the Chief Engagement Officer, leading events and programming strategy for the Freedom Forum, developing programs, events and innovative experiences designed to creatively engage audiences throughout the country.
This senior leadership position will help guide the strategic vision to build, support and grow models to engage with all 330 million Americans across the country, digitally and in person, around the First Amendment.
The Vice President of Events and Experiences will manage a dynamic team and collaborate closely with the leadership team.
Responsibilities, including but not limited to:
- Develop and execute the Freedom Forum’s creative strategy to grow compelling programs, events and experiences across platforms, including digital and in person, as well as immersive programs, which are strategic to our mission to expand our reach to an increasingly broad audience.
- Oversee the Freedom Forum’s programs, events and video production team, including technical operations, to create engaging content for events, programs and digital that reach both broad and deep audiences and build connections to First Amendment awareness in inspiring and educational ways.
- Oversee live events and special events, including annual Free Expression Awards, Gridiron After-Party, and new activations, while also leading programming for annual 1A Festival, and potential future mass-scale events.
- Develop new models for Freedom Forum public programs, both at the Wharf headquarters and in local communities, on our own or in partnership with aligned platform partners.
- Provide oversight of the broadcast studio and technical operations at Freedom Forum headquarters office, including leadership of the technical operations team, to ensure that Freedom Forum technical and quality standards are being met for each program and production.
- Collaborate on multi-platform marketing awareness campaigns with strategic ideas for engagement content.
- Help build and nurture strategic programming partnerships and relationships that further our legacy and mission and continue to position Freedom Forum as the nation’s foremost advocate for First Amendment freedoms.
- Help develop and execute creative, big-picture engagement strategies to influence diverse audiences, based on who and where they are, and how they consume information.
- Help guide the development of initiatives and programs which connect relevant First Amendment information to different audiences in a strategic way.
- Promote cross-disciplinary idea generation and creative thinking throughout the Engagement team, as well as with senior leadership and all internal teams to plan, execute, support and promote all the functions of the Freedom Forum.
- A skilled and inventive leader with a track record of creating and launching buzzworthy events and experiences that produce meaningful and measurable engagement and success.
- At least 10 years of experience in leadership of programming and events strategy and execution, including creation, technical planning and activation.
- Proven skill sets in the development and execution of creative engagement strategies to influence diverse audiences.
- Skilled in knowledge about engaging audiences across multiple platforms, from national to local communities, and from in-person to digital.
- A self-starter who contributes original thinking, critical thinking, and creative energy to our work, and who has strong collaboration skills.
- A passion for the First Amendment and the Freedom Forum’s mission
- A willingness to dive into First Amendment issues and a desire to help explain those complex issues to diverse audiences.
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- A commitment to providing a nonpartisan forum and differing perspectives for discussion of ideas about First Amendment rights and responsibilities.
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion as an integral part of our work.
$215,000 to $220,000 plus benefits
Diversity and Inclusion Statement: Our Unique Differences Are Our Greatest Strength
Diversity is an integral part of the Freedom Forum’s history ̶ and it is vital to our future. Our founder, Al Neuharth, championed the hiring and promotion of women and minorities across the country as chair and CEO of Gannett. His legacy lives on at the Freedom Forum, where we are committed to creating an environment where everyone across race, gender, age, sexual orientation, sexual identity, religion, physical ability, life experience and political perspective is respected, valued, encouraged and supported. Diversity fuels inclusion. Everyone offers a unique perspective; we welcome yours.
The Freedom Forum is committed to an ethical workplace, and our code of ethics reflects this commitment by promoting integrity, innovation, inclusivity, collaboration, accountability, respect and engagement. Competitive benefits include health, dental, vision and life insurance, as well as paid time off and a 401(k) Plan.
The Freedom Forum is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, age, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.