Reports to: Content Managing Editor
Status: Full-time Regular
Prepared: January 2023
The Freedom Forum is a national nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that fosters First Amendment freedoms for all through education, advocacy and action. The best candidate for this position will join a dynamic, fast-paced and action-oriented team that is inventing new and creative ways to encourage the broad understanding and vigorous use of these fundamental freedoms by all Americans.
The Content Writer will report to the Content Managing Editor and will collaborate with our Digital, Engagement and Outreach teams to tell compelling stories that connect diverse audiences to the First Amendment in strategic ways. The work will involve collaborative idea generation, researching, writing, editing and fact-checking.
Essential Functions/Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop creative educational social media campaigns about the First Amendment.
- Execute those campaigns, with a goal to reach new and broad audiences with engaging First Amendment messages.
- Conceptualize, research and write blog posts and scripts for social media videos, exhibits and programs.
- Work with First Amendment experts to translate sometimes complex First Amendment issues for a general-interest audience.
- A passion for the First Amendment and the Freedom Forum’s mission.
- At least five years of multimedia communications experience, including storytelling, idea generating and writing.
- Attention to detail in your work.
- Excellent writing and copyediting skills.
- Strong research skills and the ability to produce content on tight deadlines.
- A multimedia portfolio that includes engaging storytelling using text, video, graphics and visuals.
- A self-starter who contributes original thinking and creative energy to our work, and who collaborates and understands the benefits of a good editor and critical thinking.
- Demonstrated ability to tell stories using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and/or TikTok. A strong following is a plus but not a requirement.
- Graphics skills and short-form video production skills are plusses but not required.
- A track record of effectively adapting to the changing media landscape and a readiness to learn new media platforms.
- A willingness to dive into First Amendment issues and a desire to help explain those complex issues to diverse audiences.
- Journalism experience is a plus.
- Experience with on-camera work, such as moderating programs and hosting webinars is a plus, but not a requirement.
Please email a cover letter and resume in a single PDF file titled writerlastnamefirstinitial.pdf to [email protected]
Diversity and Inclusion Statement: Our Unique Differences Are Our Greatest Strength
Diversity is an integral part of the Freedom Forum’s history ̶ and it is vital to our future. Our founder, Al Neuharth, championed the hiring and promotion of women and minorities across the country as chair and CEO of Gannett. His legacy lives on at the Freedom Forum, where we are committed to creating an environment where everyone across race, gender, age, sexual orientation, sexual identity, religion, physical ability, life experience and political perspective is respected, valued, encouraged and supported. Diversity fuels inclusion. Everyone offers a unique perspective; we welcome yours.
The Freedom Forum is committed to an ethical workplace, and our code of ethics reflects this commitment by promoting integrity, innovation, inclusivity, collaboration, accountability, respect and engagement. Competitive benefits include health, dental, vision and life insurance, as well as paid time off and a 401(k) Plan.
The Freedom Forum is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, age, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.