Movie executive admits 'lapse' in judgment
By The Associated Press
09.27.00
Printer-friendly page
 |
| Mel Harris, president of Sony, left, joins other film
executives today to testify before a Senate Commerce Committee hearing on
marketing violence to children. Harris calls efforts to market violent fims to
young audiences a 'lapse' in judgment. |
WASHINGTON Hollywood executives today admitted efforts to
market violent films before audiences that included children as young as 9
years old. Questioned by angry senators, a Sony executive called the practice a
'lapse' in judgment.
Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchinson, R-Texas, told industry representatives
that if they didn't take steps to keep violent films away from young children,
they would "see some kind of legislation."
Testifying before the Senate Commerce Committee, Mel Harris, president
of Sony, parent company of Columbia Pictures, called efforts to advertise a
violent PG-13 film before the younger audience "a judgment lapse." The film was
"The Fifth Element," an action science fiction story starring Bruce Willis.
The executives were asked pointedly whether they would limit their
marketing of PG-13 moves to viewers older than that.
"We are going to review the appropriateness of all advertising," said
Rob Friedman, vice chairman of Paramount's Motion Picture Group.
Other industry executives said much of the test marketing was done by
an independent company, National Research Group, not by the companies that
produce the films.
The hearing took place the day after the Motion Picture Association of
America said the industry would stop "inappropriately specifically" targeting
children in advertising R-rated movies. According to Broadcasting and Cable
Online, the MPAA announced yesterday that movie studios plan to adopt a
12-point set of guidelines, which include appointing a senior official to
review marketing practices and allowing the MPAA to examine their marketing
practices annually.
But when asked specifically whether movie studios would market R-rated
films on teen Web sites, Stacy Snider, chairman of Universal Studios, told the
committee there might be "some R-rated films we would take to a teen site."
The industry's practice of test marketing violent films to child
audiences came to light in a front-page story in today's
New York Times.
Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kan., and the Commerce Committee chairman, Sen.
John McCain, R-Ariz., accused the Hollywood moguls of using evasive language in
describing their commitments and pressed them to firm up their pledges.
"I don't understand this language. It is filled with loopholes,"
McCain said. Both senators went down the table, asking the industry executives
one by one whether they would market R-rated films to children under 17, using
such venues as Web sites.
But several representatives emphasized that certain R-rated films,
like "Saving Private Ryan" or "Amistad," might be something that more mature
teens who are under 17 should still see.
Others resisted the idea that an audience with 35% of its members
under age 17 could always be disqualified as too young.
"We plan to use 35 percent as a guideline, but not an absolute," said
Chris McGurk, vice chairman and chief operating officer of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer
Studios.
The Federal Trade Commission, which
reported earlier this month that
the entertainment industry was peddling inappropriate materials to children,
said it was encouraged to see the industry heeding the call for improved
self-regulation.
Kathryn Montgomery, president of the Center for Media Education, said
the industry's initiative was an important first step, but added that the movie
companies need to extend their efforts to TV, by not advertising R-rated movies
on shows popular with young audiences.
A study being released today by the conservative Parents Television
Council found that of 54 movie ads aired on broadcast TV during 8 and 9 p.m.
the so-called family hour 83% were for R-rated films. The
sample was taken from Sept. 1 to Sept. 20 this year.
Other groups argue that the movie executives are trying to sugarcoat a
more fundamental problem the rating system itself.
"It's kind of putting a Band-Aid on a system that is truly outdated,"
said Daphne White, founder and executive director of the Lion & Lamb
Project. She is pushing for a complete overhaul of the movie rating system to
make it more accessible to parents.
But MPAA President Jack Valenti maintains there is no problem with the
ratings themselves and he offered several initiatives focused on explaining the
reasons for a given rating in print advertisement and on Web sites.
Update
FTC to Congress: First Amendment would limit media-violence crackdown
Lawmakers should consider legislative remedies only if entertainment industry fails to step up self-regulation efforts, commission says.
11.22.00
Previous
Lawmakers blast marketing efforts of entertainment industry
Sen. John McCain leads committee hearing echoing FTC report’s claim that companies ‘routinely’ market violent products to kids.
09.14.00
Related
Filmmakers sound off on censorship, ratings system
'The First Amendment protects your right to be a bad artist as well as protects your right to be a good artist,' panelist Carl Gottlieb tells California audience.
10.16.00
Book community decries effort to rein in media violence as censorship
However legitimate the concerns are about violence in society, 'the proposed cures are worse than the illness,' says joint statement by seven groups.
11.30.00