FIRST AMENDMENT FREEDOM FORUM.ORG
Newseum First Amendment Newsroom Diversity
spacer
spacer
First Amendment Center
First Amendment Text
Columnists
Research Packages
First Amendment Publications

spacer
Today's News
Related links
Contact Us



spacer
spacer graphic

Roundup: Anti-abortion activists challenge Massachusetts buffer-zone law

11.10.00

Printer-friendly page

Three anti-abortion activists have asked a federal judge to block a new law that would restrict their ability to preach to women entering abortion clinics. The state law, set to take effect today, creates a "buffer zone" extending 18 feet from a clinic's doors. Within the zone, protesters may not come within six feet of anyone entering the clinic. The law was passed in July as a compromise, following an earlier bill that created a 25-foot zone. Lawyers for the three "sidewalk counselors" told U.S. District Judge Edward Harrington on Nov. 8 that the law would prevent them from passing out leaflets and whispering advice. The state maintains the law is "content neutral" — meaning it isn't aimed at restricting people of a particular view — and that is necessary to keep the areas around abortion clinics safe. The law is similar to one in Colorado that created a 100-foot buffer zone. That law was upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court in June. The state says the Massachusetts law applies to a smaller space and would certainly be upheld. But attorneys for the plaintiffs argue that there are important differences in the laws. The Massachusetts version, they say, is illegally "content-based" because it exempts clinic employees and agents, who are allowed to escort patients into the clinics. The plaintiffs' attorneys also say the law would do little to prevent violence because it only applies to people who talk with or pass out pamphlets to patients, and doesn't apply to people entering the clinics themselves. Harrington, who took the case under advisement, indicated he wasn't inclined to throw out the law. Associated Press

Florida: Voyeur Dorm must leave residential neighborhood, federal judge rules

A federal judge has ruled that a home-based voyeuristic Internet company that beams the daily activities of a group of women into cyberspace must move from a residential neighborhood. At Voyeur Dorm L.C., women billed as college students are shown undressing, showering, eating and sleeping, while computer users watch live video for a $34 monthly fee. Nevertheless, despite the order to move, the Web site was still broadcasting the women's activities and accepting new memberships on Nov.7. The city of Tampa ruled in September 1999 that Voyeur Dorm was an adult business that violated zoning laws and tried to shut it down. After exhausting administrative appeals, attorneys for the Web site sued to thwart the city's attempts to equate it to a strip joint. The suit claimed the city's ruling was unconstitutional because it restricted the plaintiffs' rights to privacy and free speech. U.S. District Judge Susan C. Bucklew on Nov. 6 granted the city's motion for summary judgment in the Web site's lawsuit. Tampa City Attorney James Palermo says Voyeur Dorm won't be shut down immediately and that he expects an appeal. Lawyers for Voyeur Dorm previously admitted it is an adult entertainment business. However, they also argued that Voyeur Dorm is never visited by paying members of the public, and doesn't have any impact on the surrounding neighborhood, making the zoning laws invalid, they said. Bucklew countered by asserting that the city code doesn't address the public paying money on the premises, and wouldn't construe the code's language to favor the Web site, saying the zoning law is intended to "protect and improve the quality of residential neighborhoods." Associated Press

Alabama: Federal tax lawyers move to block lawsuit

Justice Department attorneys say a legal challenge to a new law requiring some nonprofit political groups to disclose their finances to the Internal Revenue Service should be thrown out. The suit, filed Aug. 21 by Republican activists in federal court in Mobile, contends the new law is unconstitutional and would have a "chilling effect" on free speech. But lawyers from the Justice Department's tax division said the suit against the IRS fails to state a claim upon which relief can be granted. They also say the court lacks jurisdiction because the government is protected by law against such suits. By Oct. 11, the suit had grown to include the California-based Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association's political action committee and the Libertarian Party, in addition to the initial plaintiffs who included the National Federation of Republican Assemblies and Paul Haughton of Tuscaloosa, NFRA's executive vice president. The law, which went into effect July 1, requires all organizations given tax-exempt status under Section 527 of federal tax code to disclose their officers, address and other identifying information, along with donor names, size of donations and expenditures. Supporters said it would help end secret funds that finance campaign-style TV ads and radio spots on all sides of the political spectrum. Critics said it would limit a healthy discussion of issues. The Mobile suit apparently is the first court challenge of the new law. Those filing the suit had hoped for an order blocking enforcement of the law prior to the Nov. 7 general election. However, no hearing date has been set. Associated Press

California: National Park Service agrees to remove cross from federal land

The National Park Service announced Oct. 31 that it had agreed under the threat of a lawsuit to remove an 8-foot iron cross used for Easter gatherings and as a World War I memorial in the Mojave National Preserve. The American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California had threatened to sue if the park service didn't voluntarily take down the cross. Michael Small, ACLU chief counsel, said the cross violated the separation of church and state. Preserve superintendent Mary Martin, who initially resisted removing the cross, said the cross would be removed within the next few weeks, although a specific date had not been set. The ACLU, without giving a name, said the complaint was brought on behalf of a former park service employee who claimed to be Catholic. The wooden cross and a plaque were erected on the site in 1934 by members of the local Veterans of Foreign Wars chapter to honor soldiers who died during World War I. Those memorials have since been destroyed or stolen, but neighbors have continued to replace the cross, said resident Rob Blair. Residents at the California State Veterans Home in Barstow sought a meeting with the National Park Service to discuss options other than removing the symbol. But in a response dated October 20, the service said it was forced to agree to remove the cross, adding that the park service will work with local groups on ways to allow continued use of the site for public gatherings. Associated Press

Washington: Officials accused of ousting man from committee for outspoken views

An American Indian who compares the commemoration of the Lewis and Clark expedition to "celebrating Hitler's birthday" claims he was kicked off a steering committee for the bicentennial. Jim Craven, a Clark College economics professor and Blackfeet Indian, says he was censored for his views on the event. However, organizers of the Clark County commemoration say he was asked only to tone down his delivery, which the committee co-chairman described as harassment. The dispute reflects a larger tension surrounding the national bicentennial of Meriwether Lewis and William Clark's journey from Wood River, Ill., to the mouth of the Columbia River, expected to span 2003 to 2005. Many American Indians consider the historic journey not as a heroic achievement, but a precursor to the loss of life and land to the white man. Some tribes plan to boycott or demonstrate the commemoration, while others will participate in reconciliation-themed events. Craven said he had received written permission from the chief of the Blackfeet nation to represent the tribe on the committee. About a month ago, Craven met with Vancouver Mayor Royce E. Pollard, co-chairman of the committee overseeing the commemoration. What happened in that meeting is a matter of dispute, but according to Craven, the mayor "uninvited" him from the planning group, saying that his talk of "genocide" at an August committee meeting — the first and only one Craven attended — was "too intense." Pollard disagreed, saying he was concerned about Craven's demeanor at the steering committee meeting, not the message. Pollard said he gave Craven a choice: either soften his approach or leave the committee. Craven was the one who chose to leave, he said. Associated Press

Florida: Man fined for collecting signatures at shopping mall

A court clerk candidate has been fined $250 and ordered to do 100 hours of community service for trespassing at a shopping mall to collect signatures for a petition to get on the ballot. Kevin Wood was convicted Nov. 8, a day after losing in the election, on the trespassing charge, a second-degree misdemeanor that could have gotten him a maximum sentence of 60 days in jail and a $500 fine. Wood, who contends he was exercising his free-speech rights, has appealed the conviction. The 46-year-old Republican was arrested Feb. 5 after he refused to leave Panama City Mall, telling security and city police he had a constitutional right to collect signatures there. County Judge Elijah Smiley told Wood he should have asked for permission before collecting the signatures. The mall manager testified he would have barred the signature collection under any circumstance, but Wood then could have sued and argued the constitutional issue in court, Smiley said. Wood testified he had gone to the mall after finding a California Supreme Court decision supporting free-speech rights in privately owned public places such as malls, but police refused to listen when he tried to tell them about the case. (The state high court ruled in 1979 in Robins v. Pruneyard Shopping Center that the state Constitution protects free expression, including leafleting and signature gathering, in a large private shopping mall, the modern equivalent of a town square. In 1980, the U.S. Supreme Court affirmed the California high court's decision.) Assistant State Attorney Bruce Bartlett, of Clearwater, told the jurors it was a simple case of trespassing. "You'll have to decide your verdict based solely on the evidence, not on all this other he-had-a-constitutional-right mumbo jumbo," Bartlett said. Associated Press

Pennsylvania: Police who posed as protesters must turn over notes, judge orders

State police must turn over notes, memos and other investigation information regarding state troopers who posed as protesters during the Republican National Convention, a judge has ruled. State police have a week to turn the information over to the defense lawyers for about 75 protesters arrested at a Philadelphia warehouse, Municipal Judge James M. DeLeon said on Nov. 8. The activists' attorneys say the undercover officers may have overstepped bounds of privacy or legality by participating or encouraging demonstrators who have since been charged with misdemeanor conspiracy to obstruct highways. Four state troopers pretending to be union carpenters spent a week undercover in the warehouse where activists were making giant puppets for use in street protests, city prosecutors have said in court. The troopers were gathering evidence used to raid the warehouse Aug. 1 and arrest everyone inside. Defense attorney Bradley S. Bridge said in court that his clients had provided him with information suggesting that the troopers either broke the law themselves or encouraged others to do so. State police attorney Joanna Reynolds said some of the information revealed by the judge's order might reveal infiltration methods or names of informants, but she said police would comply. Associated Press

Alabama: 'Ten Commandments' judge wins chief justice race

Republican Roy Moore, known around the country as the "Ten Commandments Judge," defeated Democrat Sharon Yates for chief justice Nov. 7 to become Alabama's highest-ranking judicial official. He will lead a court where the GOP holds an 8-1 majority without any minority members after the two black Democratic incumbents, Ralph Cook and John England, lost. Moore has promised to take his handmade Ten Commandments plaque from his courtroom in Etowah County to the state Supreme Court building in Montgomery. Moore, who gained a nationwide following by waging a court fight against the American Civil Liberties Union to keep the plaque displayed in his courtroom, lead Yates with 94% of the vote counted, 845,660 votes to 706,920 votes, or 54% to 46%. Some voters feared a Moore victory would signal a move to bring Alabama's court system too close to the church. But a majority of voters sided with Moore, who campaigned mainly in churches and Republican gatherings and avoided face-to-face meetings with Yates, who retained her seat on the Alabama Court of Civil Appeals. As chief justice, Moore will be the only one of nine justices who considers every case before the high court. He also will serve as administrative head of the state's court system, functioning at various times as a lobbyist, a CEO and a promoter. Associated Press

Kentucky: City's refusal to divulge settlement amount violates law, ruling says

Officials in Shepherdsville violated the Open Records Act in refusing to say how much was paid to settle a civil rights suit against the city, the attorney general's office says. The case involved the 1998 arrest of the Rev. Abraham Lincoln Washington, a black minister from Chicago who had stopped for gas in Shepherdsville. Washington claimed in federal court that Shepherdsville police arrested him because he was black, not because he had done anything wrong. After being acquitted of charges of disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and domestic assault, Washington sued the police and other city officials for $5 million. The suit was settled in August. When asked by The (Louisville) Courier-Journal, city officials turned over documents revealing the settlement but denied access to the agreement itself, saying the settlement was exempt from disclosure because it was paid by the city's insurance carrier, not with tax money. They also said the paperwork was in the carrier's possession, not in city records. However, the newspaper contended that insurance premiums are paid with tax dollars, and the carrier holds the settlement agreement on the city's behalf. Assistant Attorney General Amye L. Bensenhaver agreed in an opinion issued last week and made public Nov. 6. In a second case, the attorney general rejected the Department of Corrections' theory that its database of prison inmates is not a public record and that it contains "personal, identifying information" that is exempt, like birth dates. The database lists such things as age, sex and gender of inmates, type of crime and severity of sentence. In her opinion, Bensenhaver said the database allows one "to look behind the institutional walls at the individuals who comprise the inmate population," and helps the public judge how the agency does its job. As for birth dates, Bensenhaver wrote that an inmate has "a reduced expectation of privacy" that is outweighed by the public's interest in disclosure. The Daily News of Bowling Green had asked for the ruling after the department rejected the newspaper's request for database information. Associated Press

Wisconsin: Judge gags attorneys in case against ex-Green Bay Packer

Attorneys in the sexual assault case against former Green Bay Packer Mark Chmura were ordered Nov. 8 not to talk to the media about the case. Waukesha County Circuit Judge Mark Gempeler imposed the gag order after District Attorney Paul Bucher filed a motion asking that Chmura "not engage in any interviews with any publication whatsoever concerning this case or concerning the defendant's professional career which was impacted according to the defendant by the filing of charges in this case." Bucher referred to a recent interview Chmura gave to Sports Illustrated. His move came only days after Gerald Boyle, Chmura's attorney, asked a judge to find Bucher in contempt of court for commenting on a witness' possible testimony, referring to the same Sports Illustrated interview. The judge did not, however, extend the order to Chmura, Bucher said. Boyle said earlier that he did not believe his office or Chmura should be gagged, but said he would obey any such order if it was granted. Chmura, 31, was charged with third-degree sexual assault and child enticement after his children's 17-year-old baby sitter accused him of having sex with her without her consent during a post-prom party at the home of Chmura's neighbor, Robert Gessert, on April 9. He has pleaded not guilty. Associated Press

Updates

Voyeur Dorm isn't subject to city's zoning law
11th Circuit panel didn’t, however, address constitutional issue of using city codes to control adult entertainment on the Internet.  09.25.01

'Ten Commandments Judge' opts not to hang plaque in high court chamber
Alabama's new chief justice instead posts Old Testament laws in outer office.  01.29.01

Federal judge strikes down Massachusetts buffer-zone law
Three 'sidewalk counselors' had argued law unfairly exempted abortion clinic employees, allowing them unequal access to women entering clinics.  11.21.00

Previous

Voyeur Dorm files federal challenge to Florida city's zoning law
Internet business 'does not cause any harmful secondary effects because it is not even open to the public,' says attorney for plaintiffs.  09.28.99

graphic
spacer