FIRST AMENDMENT FREEDOM FORUM.ORG
Newseum First Amendment Newsroom Diversity
spacer
spacer
First Amendment Center
First Amendment Text
Columnists
Research Packages
First Amendment Publications

spacer
Today's News
Related links
Contact Us



spacer
spacer graphic

Nader sues presidential debate commission for barring him from Boston event

By The Associated Press

10.18.00

Printer-friendly page

Green Party presidential candidate Ralph Nader looks out of his vehicle at the presidential debate site at Washington University in St. Louis yesterday. Nader was denied access to the area hours after he sued the commission organizing the debates because he was excluded from the first debate in Boston.

ST. LOUIS — Ralph Nader was barred from the presidential debate here yesterday, hours after he sued the commission organizing the debates because he was excluded from the first one.

"Mark my words, this is the debate commission's last hurrah," Nader said after police turned him away from Washington University where Al Gore and George W. Bush appeared for the third and final debate. "Its power will be broken."

Nader, the longtime consumer advocate and Green Party candidate, was invited to do an interview with campus television station WUTV and had a credential from the station to speak with two reporters at their tent outside the field house where the debate took place.

But the university's police chief said the credential was invalid and Nader was turned away, even though two of his campaign staffers were allowed inside with the same type of pass.

Nader left the campus and his campaign aides said he planned to go to his hotel to watch the debate.

Earlier, Nader filed a lawsuit in Boston — the site of the first presidential debate Oct. 3. He was denied access to the event even though he had been given a ticket by a local college student, and claimed his rights were violated.

That event prompted the lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Boston against the Commission on Presidential Debates, the commission's two co-chairmen, a commission "security consultant" and a state police sergeant.

Nader called the lawsuit the first step in dismantling the commission.

"By the time I'm finished with the debate commission, its ranking in political opinion polls will be below the ranking of used car dealers," Nader said.

Nader has already sued the Federal Election Commission, contending that allowing corporate sponsorship of the debates violates the federal law barring companies from contributing to candidates. A federal appeals court has heard that case but has yet to rule.

In the latest lawsuit, Nader said the defendants used "the threat of arrest, intimidation and coercion to exclude him," and deprived him of his rights to free speech, freedom of association and equal protection of the law.

Nader claimed he was "treated differently from all others" because of his political positions, his Green Party affiliation, and his criticism of the commission, the Democratic and Republican parties and their candidates. He is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.

Nader, excluded by the commission from debating because he hadn't garnered 15% in polling, wasn't even allowed to watch from a side auditorium at the University of Massachusetts-Boston campus.

As Nader got off a shuttle bus that drove him from a subway station to the Boston debate site, a commission security officer, flanked by police officers, told him that despite the ticket he would not be admitted because he was "not an invited guest in possession of that ticket."

Nader said before the Boston debate that he had been assured by a debate official that all tickets were transferable.

John Scardino, a spokesman for the commission, denied that yesterday.

"We have a very clear process about the ticketing procedures and the ticketing procedures are not transferable," Scardino said, adding he believes Nader tried to gain access to an area he was not entitled to enter. Scardino declined to comment further on the lawsuit.

Update

Nader settles lawsuit over debate access
Former Green Party candidate had sued Commission on Presidential Debates after being barred from Boston event.  04.16.02

Related

Nader's effort to get Green Party label on Ohio ballot hits snag
Federal appeals judges grant secretary of state's request for stay, giving him more time to challenge order requiring state to reprint or modify ballots.  10.20.00

Nader asks federal judge to ban corporate donations to presidential debates
Green Party candidate says laws barring corporate contributions to campaigns also prohibit donations to organization that stages debates.  08.24.00

Minor parties: Presidential-debate rules are unconstitutional
Court finds judicial rule an unconstitutional infringement on the fundamental right of the press 'to attend and cover criminal proceedings.'  05.09.00

graphic
spacer