Federal judge solidifies buffer zones around N.Y. abortion clinics
By The Associated Press
07.28.00
Printer-friendly page
BUFFALO, N.Y. Abortion foes must continue to honor larger
protest-free zones outside certain health clinics and doctors' offices under a
federal ruling issued July 26 stemming from last year's Operation Save America
demonstrations.
In his long-awaited ruling, U.S. District Judge Richard Arcara
concluded that, prior to the court's April 1999 establishment of the zones,
protesters had "repeatedly interfered with access to reproductive health
facilities in ways that not only violate FACE (the Freedom of Access to Clinic
Entrances act), but also create significant public safety hazards amounting to
a public nuisance under New York law."
The ruling converts a
temporary restraining order
granted just before the Operation Save America demonstrations into a more
permanent preliminary injunction.
The measure which also prohibits protesters from using
megaphones or other amplifying devices was
sought by state Attorney General
Eliot Spitzer and several western New York abortion providers, including
the clinic where murdered physician Barnett Slepian practiced.
Named as defendants were anti-abortion organizations Operation Rescue,
Last Call Ministries, Rescue Rochester, Lambs of Christ and Christian American
Family Life Association, and 59 individuals.
"We're thrilled," said Melinda Dubois, executive director at Buffalo
GYN Womenservices, the clinic where Slepian worked before being killed by a
sniper in his Amherst home in October 1998. Fugitive James Kopp is sought
in the shooting.
Spitzer, whose office presented 23 days of testimony over a two-month
period last summer, said the ruling tailored the buffer zones to the needs of
individual clinics. It demonstrates, he said, "that the balanced approach we
took to ensuring a woman's constitutional right to have access to a clinic was
protected and also that the right of those who wish to protest was properly
respected."
The buffer zones were established as hundreds of abortion opponents
prepared to converge on Buffalo for a week of protests. Fearing a repeat
of the violence and hundreds of arrests that occurred at a similar 1992 event,
authorities in April 1999 successfully sought to keep protesters as far as 60
feet away from GYN Womenservices and 30 feet away from Planned Parenthood in
Rochester during Operation Save America.
Demonstrators, under the watch of an army of law enforcement officers,
honored the buffer zones.
Following the July 26 ruling, the Rev. Flip Benham, national director
of Operation Rescue, indicated that protesters might not be as compliant in the
future. Referring to planned demonstrations in St. Louis later this month,
Benham said, "this time we will not abide by any judicial injunction at all. We
simply are going to stand where God tells us to stand."
Should the group protest in Buffalo again, he said, "there is no way
we will allow the court to censor the gospel of Jesus Christ from those people
who need us most."
In his 125-page ruling, Arcara cited witness testimony about death
threats and other intimidation tactics used against patients and clinic
employees.
In one case, a day after Slepian's murder, a doctor entering his
Rochester office was told by a protester "I hope you're next, you're next,"
court papers show.
At GYN Womenservices, where protesters once blocked the sidewalk and
clinic driveway, the new buffer zone has forced them across the street.
"For the patients and the staff it's been wonderful to have the
protesters across the street," Dubois said, "and for Judge Arcara to make it
permanent is a major relief for us all."
Update
Expanded N.Y. abortion-clinic buffer zones struck down
Federal appeals court says judge went too far in extending protest-free zones outside two facilities.
11.27.01
Previous
Federal judge orders expanded buffer zones at N.Y. abortion clinics
Organizers of weeklong anti-abortion protests call court order an attack on free speech.
04.16.99