Appeals court revives 'Perfect Storm' lawsuit
By The Associated Press
01.14.03
Printer-friendly page
BRADENTON, Florida A federal appeals court has agreed to hear arguments on an appeal of a lawsuit that alleges two fishermen were portrayed without consent and in a negative light in the movie "The Perfect Storm."
The decision on Jan. 10 by the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta came on an appeal by the fishermen's families, whose suit was dismissed last year by a federal judge in Orlando.
Jodi Tyne of Bradenton, wife of the late fishing boat captain Frank William "Billy" Tyne Jr., sued Time Warner Entertainment Co. and the two companies that produced the film. The family of crew member Dale Murphy later joined the suit.
The film tells the story of Tyne's final fishing expedition in October 1991. Tyne and five crew members on the Gloucester, Mass.-based vessel Andrea Gail all drowned. Tyne was portrayed in the film by George Clooney.
In dismissing the suit last May, U.S. District Judge Anne C. Conway said the movie was protected by the First Amendment, and that the Supreme Court had given filmmakers broad leeway in depicting people and events.
Previous
'Perfect Storm' lawsuit thrown out
Federal judge says movie protected by First Amendment and that filmmakers must be allowed leeway in depicting people, events.
05.10.02