Back to document

Judge orders release of Columbine gunmen's juvenile records

By The Associated Press

10.31.02

GOLDEN, Colo. — A judge yesterday ordered the release of the Columbine gunmen's records from a juvenile "diversion program," saying the public had a legitimate interest in seeing whether the program failed.

Jefferson County District Judge Brooke Jackson ordered the release of records from the 11 months Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold spent in the program, The Denver Post reported on its Web site.

Harris and Klebold were ordered to participate in the program after they were arrested in January 1998 for breaking into a van and stealing tools. The program lets youthful offenders avoid detention and a criminal record by making restitution, performing public service or other options.

The Rocky Mountain News published portions of Harris' records on Oct. 5, but the newspaper did not say how it obtained them. Harris' parents later said they would not object to official release of the records.

Tom and Susan Klebold fought the release of their son's records to protect their privacy, because they participated in the diversion program.

Jackson ruled that a privacy claim was not a sufficient reason to prevent release of the documents, especially given the massive publicity surrounding the case.

"There is a public interest in exploring whether there is something in these records that might contribute to public understanding of the juveniles' later behavior and help in some way to prevent similar incidents in the future," Jackson said in his ruling.

The Columbine Open Records Task Force asked Jackson to release the records. One of the Klebolds' lawyers, Gary Lozow, said they had not decided whether to appeal.

"Eventually, I think the records will become public, and that will be the result of this ruling," Lozow told the Associated Press.

Task force member Randy Brown, who has read the records, said he could not discuss specifics of their contents but told the AP they show the diversion program failed.

Harris' previously released records included a list of feelings or thoughts he said he had experienced, including anger, anxiety, depression, disorganized thoughts, homicidal thoughts, jealousy, loneliness, mood swings, obsessive thoughts, racing thoughts, stress, suspicion and temper.

The task force was formed in February by Attorney General Ken Salazar and Jefferson County District Attorney Dave Thomas to track down all official records relating to the Columbine shootings and develop criteria to determine whether they should be made public.

Harris and Klebold stormed Columbine High School on April 20, 1999, fatally shooting a teacher and 12 students and wounding 23 others. They killed themselves in the school library.