Moussaoui's diatribes will no longer be made public
By The Associated Press
09.06.02
Printer-friendly page
ALEXANDRIA, Va. A U.S. court of law has silenced Zacarias Moussaoui, the accused Sept. 11 conspirator, in the court of public opinion.
Moussaoui's court pleadings, which recently included demands to euthanize a defense lawyer, place a curse on the judge and exterminate Jews in Israel, will no longer be made public. In taking away Moussaoui's worldwide audience, U.S. District Judge Leonie Brinkema said his pleadings were filled with "irrelevant, inflammatory and insulting" language.
She also agreed with the government's concern that Moussaoui, an acknowledged member of al-Qaida, could be sending coded messages to terrorists. Her decision was made last week and disclosed yesterday.
"I have never heard of motions being sealed because they're insulting to the court," said Lawrence Goldman, a New York City attorney and president of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. "But if there was a legitimate fear he was communicating in code ... that would be a legitimate reason."
Lucy Dalglish, executive director of the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, said keeping the motions secret was distressing.
"The public should be able to see what he's really like," she said. "If he's a typical terrorist, it's really important to see how his mind works. I'm concerned the public is going to get a sanitized view of what is going on at the court.
"I certainly don't envy Judge Brinkema in having to manage this guy."
Moussaoui has been able to file motions with political diatribes because he's acting as his own lawyer. Such defendants get more leeway than lawyers who must follow strict rules of procedure. Brinkema's order applies to pleadings "containing threats, racial slurs, calls to action, or other irrelevant and inappropriate language" but that would apply to almost all of Moussaoui's motions.
Ronald Allen, a law professor at Northwestern University, said Brinkema "could just reject them (the motions). There's no requirement the court should accept pleadings in inappropriate form."
But Allen agreed with the government that Moussaoui should not use the courts for an end-run around his strict rules of confinement. Moussaoui is prohibited from communicating with the outside world under those rules.
"I suppose if there is some conspiracy to blow up the White House that can only be triggered by Moussaoui saying a certain sentence, would you say the public right to know applies to that? No one would say that. That's madness," Allen said.
Former federal prosecutor Sean O'Shea, now in private practice in New York City, said, "If [Moussaoui is] using this as a soapbox to make wild accusations and speeches, that's not what the courts are for. They're there to have a fair trial."
In his motions, Moussaoui has mixed his rhetoric with standard requests, recently winning access to an Internet site maintained by court-appointed "standby" lawyers. He also persuaded Brinkema to order prosecutors to consult with him on the handling of documents with sensitive government information.
Brinkema also said she could revoke Moussaoui's right to represent himself against charges that he conspired with the 19 hijackers to commit terrorism. The government said it would seek the death penalty.
"She's laying the groundwork for removing him as pro se (self-represented) counsel," predicted Robert Precht, an assistant dean at University of Michigan law school who represented a defendant in the first World Trade Center bombing case. "If she cut him off earlier he could say she denied him the right to represent himself. By allowing him this room and time to disobey her orders and file motions with inflammatory language, she is creating an unimpeachable record for taking away his right to represent himself. She will be on very firm ground," Precht said.
Update
News organizations seek Moussaoui's court filings
Media groups argue judge's order sealing some of accused Sept. 11 conspirator's pleadings is too broad, violates First Amendment.
09.17.02
Related
NYC: Sept. 11 records shouldn't be released
Responding to New York Times lawsuit, city cites victims' privacy, prosecution of Zacarias Moussaoui as reasons to keep some info secret.
07.23.02
USA TODAY seeks cockpit recordings in Moussaoui case
Federal judge says newspaper's request is premature because she hasn't decided whether to allow the government to use the tapes.
08.21.02