FIRST AMENDMENT FREEDOM FORUM.ORG
Newseum First Amendment Newsroom Diversity
spacer
spacer
First Amendment Center
First Amendment Text
Columnists
Research Packages
First Amendment Publications

spacer
Today's News
Related links
Contact Us



spacer
spacer graphic

Public-access TV returns to Maine town — without the public

By The Associated Press

08.10.02

Printer-friendly page

BIDDEFORD, Maine — The City Council has agreed to put the local cable-access channel back on the air — but don't expect to see anything other than government proceedings.

The council said the only things Channel 2 can air for now are meetings of the council, school committee and the planning and zoning boards.

Residents will be forbidden from producing their own programming, such as Dorothy Lafortune's local call-in show that motivated the council last spring to pull the plug on the channel in the first place.

Willie Nelson, a member of the city's cable committee, accused city councilors of adopting a self-serving order that puts them on TV yet keeps local programs off.

"We're not getting anywhere," Nelson said.

"They don't want people like us talking about people like them," Lafortune said.

City councilors said they should have a set of regulations over local programming sometime this month. James Grattelo, cable committee chairman, said local programming shouldn't be allowed until the rules are adopted.

"I will not support a free-for-all," Grattelo said.

The council's decision was designed to help resolve a legal dispute with Lafortune. Lafortune, represented by the Maine Civil Liberties Union, sued councilors in federal court after they took her show off the air last year.

The case is being closely watched by civil libertarians, who argue that it's a violation of free speech for political leaders to silence a show on public-access TV for airing controversial material.

Part of the issue with Lafortune's show was whether it contained slanderous material.

U.S. Magistrate David Cohen said city officials violated Lafortune's free-speech rights and should not require local producers to seek permission from people before using their names on the air.

U.S. District Judge Brock Hornby, meanwhile, gave the city until this month to revise cable-access rules so they don't restrict free speech.

MCLU attorney David Lourie questioned Grattelo's motives.

"His proposals are a parody of public access, and would effectively destroy it," Lourie said.

Previous

Court refuses to order Maine public-access station back on air
Biddeford has the right to shut down TV station while it attempts to develop rules for its use, federal judge rules.  05.30.02

Related

Federal judge blocks move to pull plug on cable-access channel
In issuing temporary order, court finds that forcing Florida station to shut down would create 'immediate, irreparable harm'; hearing set for Oct. 15.  10.01.02

Courts block man from arguing he had free-speech right to expose himself
Attorney for Michigan man convicted of indecent exposure for cable-access skit says he expects to win on appeal.  01.11.03

graphic
spacer