FIRST AMENDMENT FREEDOM FORUM.ORG
Newseum First Amendment Newsroom Diversity
spacer
spacer
First Amendment Center
First Amendment Text
Columnists
Research Packages
First Amendment Publications

spacer
Today's News
Related links
Contact Us



spacer
spacer graphic

Depositions in clergy sex-abuse case won't be made public

By The Associated Press

06.17.02

Printer-friendly page

BOSTON — A state appeals court judge has set aside a lower court's order to immediately release transcripts of depositions given by Cardinal Bernard Law and a former deputy in the case of a priest accused of child-sex abuse.

The June 14 ruling turns the matter over to a judge assigned this month to oversee all clergy sex-abuse lawsuits in the Boston archdiocese.

Last month, the lower court judge had ordered the depositions released on the grounds they were of great public interest. But Appeals Court Justice Kenneth Laurence ruled on June 14 that the judge was "no longer empowered" to make that decision.

Instead, the ruling said Superior Court Judge Constance Sweeney should make the decision. Sweeney has been put in charge of all civil cases against the archdiocese alleging sex abuse by priests.

After Laurence's ruling was handed down on June 14, attorneys for news media organizations asked the Supreme Judicial Court to reinstate the lower court's order.

"The order was proper when it was entered," said Jonathan Albano, who represents several media organizations, including The Boston Globe.

The high court did not immediately schedule a hearing.

The lower court's order was appealed by lawyers for the archdiocese who argued they should have at least 30 days to review transcripts for errors.

Law and his former deputy, John McCormack, now bishop in New Hampshire, were questioned in early June in the case of retired priest Paul Shanley.

The depositions were conducted by lawyers for three men who say they were molested by Shanley during the 1980s, when he was pastor of a parish in Newton, Mass. The accusers say church officials failed to protect them from repeated abuse by Shanley.

Shanley is in jail awaiting trial on criminal charges that he raped one of the boys. He has pleaded not guilty.

Update

Depositions in church sex-abuse case to be released
Transcripts, videotapes of Boston cardinal's testimony to be made public today after ruling from state judge.  08.13.02

Related

Cardinal must answer questions in molestation probe
Judge rejects archdiocese's First Amendment argument, clearing way for Boston's highest-ranking Catholic leader to be deposed in sexual-abuse case.  04.19.02

R.I. diocese must turn over evidence of alleged sex abuse
Superior Court judge says claim that such information is protected under 'clergy-penitent' privilege is wrong.  07.02.02

graphic
spacer