TV station ordered to turn over video from police raid
By The Associated Press
05.29.02
Printer-friendly page
DURHAM, N.C. A television station must provide its uncut footage from a police raid earlier this year, a judge ruled in determining the tape could help those arrested in the case.
Superior Court Judge Orlando Hudson ruled May 23 that the cameraman for WTVD is not protected from testifying when he was an eyewitness to activity that might be an issue in a criminal trial.
Hudson agreed to stay the order for 30 days because attorneys wanted additional time to research the ruling and possibly file an appeal.
At issue is the state's shield law, which is designed to protect journalists from being called as witnesses in court.
Durham public defenders filed a motion requesting all news footage of a raid Feb. 15 and 16 at Cheek Road Apartments be turned over to them. One of the attorneys contends that some of the residents' rights were violated when police entered their homes without search warrants.
Jon Buchan, an attorney for WTVD, said that he wasn't sure Hudson's ruling would be appealed.
Related
Montana judge: Student journalist doesn't have to turn over videotapes
Court says state's shield law protects reporter, despite prosecutor's argument that she wasn't 'true' member of news media.
03.16.01
Poor police work no excuse for stripping journalists of rights
By Douglas Lee Judges are too quick to side with prosecutors who want to use reporters' efforts to prove their case.
11.02.00
ABC News ordered to hand over videotape in skull-drilling case
Utah judge also says reporter must testify because he is only known material witness to New Age procedure.
10.17.00