FIRST AMENDMENT FREEDOM FORUM.ORG
Newseum First Amendment Newsroom Diversity
spacer
spacer
First Amendment Center
First Amendment Text
Columnists
Research Packages
First Amendment Publications

spacer
Today's News
Related links
Contact Us



spacer
spacer graphic

Nader settles lawsuit over debate access

By The Associated Press

04.16.02

Printer-friendly page

BOSTON — Former Green Party candidate Ralph Nader has settled his lawsuit against the Commission on Presidential Debates for barring him from attending a debate in Boston, even as a spectator.

Under the terms of yesterday's settlement, the commission agreed to issue an apology and pay an undisclosed amount of money.

The case was to go to trial today in U.S. District Court in Boston.

"I'm glad that after 18 months we spnt on this, it has been resolved," said Janet Brown, executive director of the commission. "We don't believe his claims were substantiated."

Nader had sued the commission for excluding him from the site of the Oct. 3 debate, even though he had a ticket to watch in a side room. He maintains he was discriminated against because of his political views and prevented from doing interviews at the debate site.

The commission already had excluded Nader from participating in the debate because he did not have the required minimum of 15% support in opinion polls.

U.S. District Judge William G. Young dismissed several of Nader's claims in February but declined to dismiss the suit.

In a statement yesterday, Nader said he had demanded that the commission contribute $25,000 to the Appleseed Center for Electoral Reform at Harvard Law School. Terms of the settlement were not disclosed.

The commission, an independent nonprofit organization led by two former Republican and Democratic party chairmen, began sponsoring presidential debates in 1988.

Previous

Nader sues presidential debate commission for barring him from Boston event
Green Party candidate says defendants excluded him even though he had been given a ticket.  10.18.00

Related

Supreme Court refuses to hear 2 First Amendment cases
Justices reject challenge to California law allowing churches to raze, replace historic buildings, Ralph Nader’s bid to bar corporate donations to presidential debates.  04.30.01

Networks urge FEC to stay out of election-debate decisions
Coalition wants to change federal rule it says could treat a news organization's invitation to appear in forum as illegal corporate campaign contribution.  04.11.02

Third-party candidates lose bid to participate in debate
Massachusetts judge rejects claims that media sponsors are illegally giving free advertising to two gubernatorial candidates by inviting them to debate while excluding three others.  10.01.02

Federal judge: Libertarian can be excluded from governor's debate
John Sophocleus had argued that event co-sponsor Alabama Public Television is publicly funded and therefore should include all candidates from recognized parties.  10.11.02

graphic
spacer