Back to document

News media want cameras in trial of teen charged with killing 2 professors

By The Associated Press

02.26.02

CONCORD, N.H. — Seven news organizations filed a joint petition Feb. 21 for permission to use cameras in the courtroom during the trial of a Vermont teen-ager accused of killing two Dartmouth College professors.

The motion in Grafton County Superior Court says there is a "presumptive constitutional right" for the media to be able to record, broadcast and take still photographs at the April 22 trial of Robert Tulloch.

The news organizations argue that while the court has concerns about Tulloch being able to receive a fair trial in the Jan. 27, 2001, deaths of Half and Susanne Zantop, that isn't enough reason to bar cameras.

The petitioners say the court should hold a hearing on the issue.

Meanwhile, an Oregon judge said he would not bar cameras from coverage of a murder trial there but that he might limit the number of reporters allowed in his small courtroom.

The lawyer for suspect Christian Longo said he may try to move the case from Lincoln County.

"It just can't be all press," Lincoln County Circuit Court Judge Robert Huckleberry said yesterday. "The public also has a right to be there."

No trial date has been set for Longo, 28, who is charged with seven counts of aggravated murder in the deaths of his wife, MaryJane, and their three small children in December. The four were found in tidal waters at Newport and Waldport. Longo fled to Mexico and was arrested at a beach resort near Cancun.

Huckleberry said his coverage rules would probably establish pool coverage for television stations and newspapers.

The New Hampshire request faces an uphill battle in Haverhill because presiding Judge Peter Smith has had a firm policy since 1995 of not allowing cameras in his courtroom on any case. He previously rejected media requests to broadcast Tulloch's pretrial hearings.

New Hampshire law gives superior court judges broad discretion to decide whether to allow cameras.

Smith said in a May order regarding coverage of the Tulloch case that the purpose of court proceedings is to allow for a fair process, "not to entertain or educate the viewing public."

The petition was filed on behalf of The Boston Globe, Court TV, New Hampshire Association of Broadcasters, Massachusetts Association of Broadcasters, WBZ-TV, WBZ-AM radio and WMUR-TV.

Tulloch, 18, and James Parker, 17, are accused of stabbing the German-born couple to death during a robbery at their Hanover home.

Parker has pleaded guilty to reduced charges and agreed to testify against Tulloch, who plans to use an insanity defense.