2002 National Freedom of Information Day conference
Theme of March 15 gathering is 'Access & Security in a Time of Crisis'
Sponsored by the First Amendment Center in cooperation with the American Library Association.
Friday, March 15, 2002
The Freedom Forum Rooftop Conference Center
1101 Wilson Boulevard, Arlington, Virginia
The conference begins with continental breakfast at 8:00 a.m. and ends at 2:00 p.m. (See AGENDA)
- Among 20 distinguished speakers: Historian and author Richard Reeves, and Steven Garfinkel, former head of the Information Security Oversight Office. (See speakers' bios)
- Panel discussions on government information access restrictions since September 11 and on unauthorized disclosures of information to the press.
- Release of the Reporters Committee’s new report, Homefront Confidential: Does Security Require Secrecy?
- Presentation of the American Library Association’s James Madison Awards.
- FOI Updates on international FOI, government secrecy, Congress and the FOIA, the courts and FOIA, the Bush administration’s access policies, and state access developments.
There is no charge for the conference, but participation will be on a first-come, first-served basis. To register, call 703/284-2805 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.