Census Bureau must release adjusted count
By The Associated Press
11.16.01
Printer-friendly page
PORTLAND, Ore. A federal judge has ordered the U.S. Census Bureau to release its statistically adjusted count of Americans despite government arguments that it would cause political battles over federal funding around the country.
U.S. District Judge James A. Redden issued only a brief ruling Nov. 14 and said his opinion would follow.
Oregon state Sens. Susan Castillo and Margaret Carter, both Democrats, had filed a Freedom of Information Act request to see the adjusted population count, arguing it could show an undercount of groups typically missed in a census, including minorities and renters.
"The people of Oregon are the winners today," Castillo said. "Now, hopefully, we can ensure that Oregon receives all the federal funds coming to us."
The Census Bureau had sought an exception to the general federal law that requires government to be conducted in the open barring special circumstances. At a hearing last month, Redden had warned it would be difficult to find that secrecy was justified in this case.
Lawyers for the government could not immediately be reached for comment.
The decision could be appealed to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco.
For the 2000 census, the bureau kept secret its adjusted population totals for states and counties, as well as for city blocks. The government argued that releasing the numbers would be a major and very disruptive disclosure.
U.S. Commerce Secretary Donald Evans has said the adjusted population counts cannot be used to redraw political boundaries or award federal funds.
Update
Census Bureau ordered to release undercount figures
Unanimous 9th Circuit panel says public is entitled under FOIA to see estimates of those missed in 2000 population count.
10.10.02
Related
Utah loses census religious-discrimination suit
Governor says state will appeal ruling to U.S. Supreme Court while filing new claim in federal district court.
04.25.01