NEWSEUM FREEDOM FORUM.ORG
Newseum First Amendment Newsroom Diversity
spacer
spacer
About the Newseum
Cyber Newseum
Education
Online Store

spacer
Today's News
Related links
Contact Us



spacer
spacer graphic

2 networks pass on showing bin Laden tape

By The Associated Press

10.15.01

Printer-friendly page

NEW YORK — Two cable news networks, after being asked by the Bush administration to use discretion in showing videotapes from Osama bin Laden's terrorist organization, decided not to show the latest tape delivered on Oct. 13.

CNN aired a brief portion of the message from bin Laden spokesman Suleiman Abu Gheith about an hour after it was received from the Al-Jazeera television network, but Fox News Channel and MSNBC executives said the tape was not newsworthy.

The news channels and ABC, CBS and NBC agreed last week not to air transmissions from the al-Qaida group without first screening and possibly editing them. The Bush administration called the transmissions propaganda and said there was a possibility that bin Laden was using the tapes to deliver coded messages.

The taped statement released Oct. 13 was the third since the U.S.-led bombing of Afghanistan began Oct. 7. Abu Gheith repeated earlier threats of airline attacks and said Muslims in the United States and Britain "should avoid traveling by air or living in high buildings or towers."

He called for the United States and Britain to remove military forces from the Arabian Peninsula because "the land will burn under their feet, God willing."

It was the first tape delivered since network presidents were asked by National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice to think twice before airing them.

"It was not news. It was rhetoric," Fox News Channel spokesman Brian Lewis said. The network aired a still photograph of Abu Gheith and paraphrased his comments. It had no plans to air the tape, Lewis said.

Similarly, MSNBC aired a still photograph of bin Laden and briefly summed up the comments from his spokesman. "It's not newsworthy," spokesman Mark O'Connor said. "What they're saying is what they've been saying."

When CNN received the tape from Al-Jazeera, a Qatar-based independent TV network, an executive committee led by Chairman Walter Isaacson reviewed it, spokesman Matt Furman said.

The tape will not be aired in its entirety, but portions of it were deemed newsworthy enough to be shown, he said.

None of the broadcast networks broke into their regular programming to show the tape. When bin Laden's first tape was delivered on Oct. 7, the networks aired it right away.

ABC had no newscast scheduled on Saturday, Oct. 13. The tape is being reviewed to see if portions will be shown in coming days, spokesman Jeffrey Schneider said.

CBS planned to air about 10 seconds of the tape on its Saturday evening news broadcast, to introduce a story about propaganda and whether the terrorist network was using the American news media, spokeswoman Sandra Genelius said.

NBC was reviewing the tape for newsworthiness, said spokeswoman Barbara Levin said.

Related

White House cautions TV networks about airing bin Laden tapes
Five major broadcasters agree to screen, possibly edit transmissions from al-Qaida before airing them after administration warns tapes may contain coded messages.  10.11.01

News media try to cover anthrax attacks fairly
NBC’s Brokaw shows anger on air; CNN says it has been approached about interviewing Osama bin Laden.  10.17.01

Networks cautious in covering war
News execs heed White House warning to monitor bin Laden messages; meanwhile, ABC News chief apologizes for saying journalists shouldn't have an opinion about Pentagon attack.  11.02.01

Ex-military brass help TV coverage shine light on air strikes
Behind the scenes and on-camera, former field leaders consult for network news in role that has its own conflicts.  10.11.01

The war on journalism
Ombudsman Closing off information to the public by squeezing the press leaves us in the dark with pundit prattle, poor policies and panic.  10.22.01

graphic
spacer